Discuss Android games here.
Jan 24th, 2022, 1:36 am
xxxzyl wrote:
Deerp1976 wrote:
1artist wrote:Thanks for your post Deep1976. You are probably right. The app is too old for running on Android 11 OS. I wasn`t aware how old this app really is until I found it in the Mobilism link below. The date on this webpage shows up as 2011 which in software time makes it a very old app:

https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=447&t=226267

Nevertheless, even though this version of Tetris is very old I need to point out it is superior to EA Tetris and any other Tetris game out there which are not very many for some reason. If you would like to see for yourself how great "Beyond Tetris" is, it is available in the link below:

https://phoneky.com/android-games/?id=n1n749
Friend I`ve found another Tetris game by same developer! com.yesiken.Tetris.arcade latest version I could find 3.0(3)

Same problems as Beyond Tetris though. Black screen. With this game if you click various points on your screen you can bring up the instructions and controls and even an attempt to connect to a game service called Screenloop. I investigated this and it originally started on Blackberry phones but there is an app for this but site has been taken down. Can modify APK to higher Android cannot play game yet. Will keep investigating further.
Deerp1976 such a kewlbie like Sherlock Holmes for us well at least myself. I learn so much on these forums
Friend xxxzyl I`m highly honoured you appreciate my Sherlock Holmes investigations haha! It comes from having too much spare time on my hands and a determination to finish what I started.
Jan 24th, 2022, 1:36 am
Jan 24th, 2022, 5:52 am
Friend 1aetist I've found a legit link for that Tetris game I'm on about by same developer. Install it and see if it works on your old phone. It doesn't work on anything above Android 4.2 but this apkpure version gives me ideas on how to search further as it comes up with different app developer even though the package name is the same as I mentioned before.
https://apkpure.com/p/com.yesiken.Tetris.arcade
Jan 24th, 2022, 5:52 am
Jan 25th, 2022, 1:38 am
Thank you Deerp1976 for such an informative post. I appreciate you taking the time to summarize alternative options as well as taking the time to do some testing. I'm going to investigate the Java option and also the RetroArch option which both seem to be very promising.

For the RetroArch option I have already learned about an android app called RetroArch Plus shown in the link below:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retroarch.aarch64

I own a Samsung Note20 Ultra which I believe has the necessary horsepower to run an emulator like RetroArch Plus and any Tetris game I install into it.

Again, thank you for your help with this matter. You are a treasure trove of information as it relates to gaming software and a great asset to this forum community.

Separate Post Follow-up:
Just noticed your separate post with an apkpure download link. I will try installing it onto my old Android 4.4.2 cell phone to see what happens. I will post the result soon.
Jan 25th, 2022, 1:38 am
Jan 25th, 2022, 11:48 pm
Hello Deerp1976, I installed Classic Blocks onto my old Android 4.4.2 phone and it works perfectly. I was expecting for the game to be a different version of Beyond Tetris due to the 3.0 version number and the different name. However, it really is for the most part the same game as Beyond Tetris version 1.01. Once you run the game you see the name "Beyond Tetris" and not "Classic Blocks". So I really don't understand why this developer repackages Beyond Tetris with a different name and version number and does not bother to improve the game in any way. .

I also installed it onto my Note20 Ultra and the same black screen problem is present. It doesn't work due to how the black screen prevents you from seeing the controls. I also got the same error message which reads as shown below:

"This app was built for an older version of android. and may not work properly. Try checking for updates or contact the developer".

In short, I had high hopes for this game to work on my Note20 due to the higher 3.0 version number but it did not make a difference. It would have been great if this developer would have changed the code in order to fix the black screen problem. But it looks like he didn't do that. In closing, thanks for sharing that link. I learned a few things.
Jan 25th, 2022, 11:48 pm
Jan 26th, 2022, 12:48 am
Ah that is a shame it isn't a different game. I did have high hopes that it would be an earlier version of Beyond Tetris and then he developed that game afterwards. The problem with this game friend is it is a clone. If you search for 'classic blocks' on Play Store there are literally 100's on there all with the same screens. These kinds of clones are just churned out and not get updates for them I'm afraid.

I did have a look through the apks of both versions of this game and can see it only supports screens 240 X 320 so that is an obvious problem with modern phones.

As a last resort, I started searching for this using Russian search engines as you can normally find anything using these as they don't care about copyright or hacks of anything. After extensive searching, I discovered the very latest update for Beyond Tetris is version 1.1.2 but sadly I couldn't find a site that you could download it from. I even searched using Chinese search engines making sure I was protected by putting a firewall around the browser I used but although several sites also mention version 1.1.2, none of them offered a direct download for it. Chinese app stores are well known that you have to download their app and then you get a lot of problems with them silently installing other apps to your phone and your internal storage gets filled with files and folders that you have no idea what their purpose is or what they do and I'm not risking downloading anything from China friend as there's no telling what will happen.

I think your best option is Retroarch. Dont bother with the play store version of it. Download it direct from their website or Fdroid. Play store versions of apps are different to the ones you get can outside of it as they are more restricted in use, there are in-app purchases etc. Retroarch on their website has a version specifically for flagship phones and it gets updates nightly on their website. Check out the nightly builds to see what I mean. This is one of my favourite apps of all time as I adore retro games. To be able to play extremely rare and hard to find games that were released on consoles that cost a lot of money these days is something I'm very fond of. I'm a massive fan of the SNES and if you look hard enough on internet, you can find the entire SNES games collection including extremely rare, impossible to buy games that were never even officially released on the SNES. For the PS1 emulators built in Retroarch, it's possible to then get Baldurs Gate ROM for it. Baldurs Gate was never released to the public. It was scrapped just before it was going to be released so this is a genuine chance to play games that are impossible to get using any other method. Just be warned - once you download this and see all the built in emulators for it, you will be spending a lot of time using this app trying different modifiers the Retroarch community post. You may end up spending entire weekends downloading all your favourite old games to be enjoyed again on your new Samsung phone.
Jan 26th, 2022, 12:48 am
Jan 27th, 2022, 5:21 am
Hello Deerp1976, I have been investigating the Retroarch website and found an Android 4.4.2 emulator shown in the link below:

https://retroarch.apk.gold/android-4.4.2

Just to confirm I understand things correctly. By installing this Retroarch 4.4.2 emulator onto my Android 11 Note20 Ultra phone I will have the ability to install Beyond Tetris straight into this Retroarch emulator. And by doing this the game Beyond Tetris should finally be playable on my Note20 Ultra phone. Is my assumption correct or wrong?

Additionally, by watching the Youtube video below I got visual confirmation my Note20 has plenty of CPU power to run emulation software without a problem. In short, I am pretty sure Retroarch should run smoothly on my Note20 after watching the Youtube video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWkixkcTOU

I welcome any opinion you may have regarding this Retroarch Android 4.4.2 emulator before I install it. Thank you.
Jan 27th, 2022, 5:21 am