Discuss Android apps here.
Jul 6th, 2023, 11:30 am
the modded versions have tracking parts removed

so are the modded versions safer?
Jul 6th, 2023, 11:30 am
Jul 7th, 2023, 10:45 am
AlexKazu wrote:Aye
I believe that apps are safer with less tracking, and I`m curious about the motivations behind the individuals who create modifications for them. I wonder if these modders do it as a full-time job considering the large number of apps they modify. Are they compensated for their work, or is it simply a dedicated hobby for them?
Jul 7th, 2023, 10:45 am
Jul 8th, 2023, 10:47 am
AlexKazu wrote:
Azazel35 wrote:
AlexKazu wrote:Aye
I believe that apps are safer with less tracking, and I`m curious about the motivations behind the individuals who create modifications for them. I wonder if these modders do it as a full-time job considering the large number of apps they modify. Are they compensated for their work, or is it simply a dedicated hobby for them?
The only source of money is commission by upload websites. I don`t know of any modder who has a patreon / paypal for them. But this money of upload sites is itself very little compared to time spent on modding (unless a modder is simply uploading someone else`s work). It leads me to believe that the modifications are only hobby-related. Only thing the modders recieve is online praise and good public image.
Back in the 80`s I did it. It was only for enjoyment and accomplishment. I had connections around the world back then and there was no internet. We used modems and when I started the baud rate was only 300. When I quit, after getting married the max baud rate had just reached 2400.
Jul 8th, 2023, 10:47 am