Discuss Android apps here.
Jan 24th, 2020, 8:43 pm
I have an older tablet with Moon + Pro installed, compliments of Mobilism. I have used the tablet and app for many years. The tablet crashed and I lost all my Moon + info, the recent list and statistics. I did a factory reset, installed apps and started over about eight to nine months ago. I purchased a new bigger tablet, larger font. I have Moon + installed on it. My issue is, I cannot get the statistics to transfer to new tablet. I did a backup from old tablet through Moon + and got the backup file on the new tablet and did a restore. I get the statistics, the read books, reading hours, turn pages, etc. but not the Recent List with all the individual book info. I don't want to lose that info again.

How can I get all the info from Moon + from one tablet to another?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. This forum is the greatest for info and books. Thank you.

A Grateful User
Jan 24th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Jan 24th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Have you set up syncing with a cloud service to save your reading positions? Also, have you tried using something like Titanium Plus to back up your apps or is the internal backup all you tried?
Jan 24th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Jan 24th, 2020, 11:00 pm
I have not setup any cloud backup or syncing or storing my books. I have books backed up to laptop, external hard drive, and tablet. Only internal Moon + backup restore at this point.
Jan 24th, 2020, 11:00 pm
Jan 27th, 2020, 5:56 pm
I tried a few more things but no success. I deleted the moon + app from new tablet. Transferred sd chip to new tablet. Installed moon + again. The book directory was already showing in new install. I didn't need to tell moon + which folder. I then restored with backup file from moon + on old tablet. Same thing, the statistics showed up but not recent list with all the individual book info.

I don't see the value of backup and restore if I lose individual book info. I also tried opening backup file in excel. Giberish.

I'm at a lose. Any additional suggestions? I hate to start over, again. If I put my books on a Google drive, will that help any? I don't like the idea of Google knowing the books I have. Problem? Anyone doing this?

Thanks
Jan 27th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Jan 30th, 2020, 4:00 pm
Are you using the latest version of Moon+Reader? I thought they changed the way backup stats are restored already.

Anyway, what may have happen is that the new tablet has a different directory than what is save in your backup. So the backup file cannot find your books. You can match the file path of your of your old tablet with your new tablet to some extent. Like for example in my old tablet the sdcard is listed like this;

Old tablet > mnt/sdcard/Books/Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson

But in the new tablet the sdcard is listed like this,
New tablet > storage/ext_sdcard/0/Books/Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson

First, restore the backup. If your shelf is empty, that is fine. If its populated with only book covers but you cannot open books then delete them but not the files.

Then go to Options in the moon+ app. Then click Import Books. From here you need match the exact path your books was in in the old tablet. I can't don't know yours but if its simple as finding Sdcard/Books then that is all. Just re-import the books and it'll have your stats back. If its like mine from the example above, then its impossible. You will need to manually change each books old file directory to the new one. You need to open the backup file database and change the listing for each book.

I don't know about excel but what I did before was extract the backup file *.mrpro with winrar. You'll get a folder /com.flyersoft.moonreaderp with a bunch numbered *.tag files. Find the biggest *.tag in filesize. I opened that with a DB browser called sqlite. Just go to File/open database select all files and find the tag file. Once opened you'll see a bunch of tables. What you need is "books" "notes" and "statistics." When you open books, you'll see the title of your books with two filenames. Those filenames have the old directory. You need to change both to the new directory your new tablet is using. Then do that for notes for the bookmarks and highlights etc. Then statistic for the reading time etc. When i did this I did it manually for hundreds of entries. Maybe you'll find a better way. Good luck!
Jan 30th, 2020, 4:00 pm
Feb 1st, 2020, 11:22 pm
Thank you for these suggestions. I plan to spend some time trying to follow them on the two tablets. I appreciate the response. I'll update after I work it some.
Feb 1st, 2020, 11:22 pm