If it does not belong anywhere else and has to do with Android post it here.
Feb 20th, 2023, 11:01 pm
I have an older Android phone, running Android 6.0.1, that is about to be removed from cellular service. There are messages (SMS and MMS) I would like to save to a computer. I think HTML format would be great, as that might preserve the attached images and emoji images.

I've seen the YT videos regarding this type of backup, and I am left with a feeling that these "tools" are sketchy at best and scary at worst. Some of the apps and tools re-route through someone's server. Not happening for me!

I tried finding something open source in GitHub or SourceForge, but I am not sure anything appropriate is there. I would be trying to download to either a Windows PC or a Linux PC. Anyone have suggestions that might work for me?
Feb 20th, 2023, 11:01 pm
Feb 21st, 2023, 12:06 am
Just look up sms backup apps that keep copies on the external card or internal memory. There are a couple of them around here.
Feb 21st, 2023, 12:06 am
Feb 21st, 2023, 12:24 am
Tomo123 wrote:Just look up sms backup apps that keep copies on the external card or internal memory. There are a couple of them around here.

I am not sure how that will help me. I don't plan to use the phone going forward once service to it is canceled. I would like the messages off of the phone in some sort of readable format. I have zero interest of moving the messages to another phone.
Feb 21st, 2023, 12:24 am
Feb 21st, 2023, 4:31 am
Mifr wrote:
Tomo123 wrote:Just look up sms backup apps that keep copies on the external card or internal memory. There are a couple of them around here.

I am not sure how that will help me. I don`t plan to use the phone going forward once service to it is canceled. I would like the messages off of the phone in some sort of readable format. I have zero interest of moving the messages to another phone.
it can export them in txt format or anything readable... my god, dude! Brain is there to be used, not having everything served up on a silver platter.
Feb 21st, 2023, 4:31 am
Feb 26th, 2023, 4:37 am
Mifr wrote:

I am not sure how that will help me. I don`t plan to use the phone going forward once service to it is canceled. I would like the messages off of the phone in some sort of readable format. I have zero interest of moving the messages to another phone.
Wondershare or easeus or tenoshare has android data recovery software but only for windows not for linux. Mods can be found at a lot of places for those programms. Works to html and a couple of other formats.
Feb 26th, 2023, 4:37 am