If it does not belong anywhere else and has to do with Android post it here.
Aug 28th, 2016, 8:22 am
Is there a site that checks apk's before publishing them (other than Google play of course), I want some free stuff but it seems to be a bit of a landmine out there.
New Android user btw.
Aug 28th, 2016, 8:22 am
Nov 4th, 2016, 12:36 pm
McAfee has a good program that is free for anyone that uses it on their Laptops or PC's for tablets. Malwarebyes is also good to run on Tabs too. I run both on mine. Both programs can be found on the Play market and have free versions. I use Avira (free app on the play market) on my cell.
Nov 4th, 2016, 12:36 pm
Nov 4th, 2016, 2:55 pm
Fuzzy Slippers wrote:McAfee has a good program that is free for anyone that uses it on their Laptops or PC's for tablets. Malwarebyes is also good to run on Tabs too. I run both on mine. Both programs can be found on the Play market and have free versions. I use Avira (free app on the play market) on my cell.

McAfee is notoriously ineffective on the PC though (at least according to its creator), I'd imagine it's the same way on the Android.
Nov 4th, 2016, 2:55 pm
Nov 4th, 2016, 7:54 pm
Greyfield wrote:
Fuzzy Slippers wrote:McAfee has a good program that is free for anyone that uses it on their Laptops or PC's for tablets. Malwarebyes is also good to run on Tabs too. I run both on mine. Both programs can be found on the Play market and have free versions. I use Avira (free app on the play market) on my cell.

McAfee is notoriously ineffective on the PC though (at least according to its creator), I'd imagine it's the same way on the Android.

Well I haven't had any issues and its all I can afford as my budget is limited. Besides if someone wants to break into to your pc, laptop, tab, cell (whatever) the only thing that will keep them out is to go offline and stay there these days lol.
Nov 4th, 2016, 7:54 pm
Apr 12th, 2017, 9:58 pm
First off, I believe that many times running modified apks through virus protection results in a large number of false positives. Further, I'm pretty certain that malicious code is relatively simple to implement and hide in modified apks, especially if it happens to be an app that requires a lot of permissions naturally and/or requires superuser.

I guess what I'm getting at is that essentially the best defense is going to be only installing apps from trusted releasers. There's also a thread on how to download from the ad-filled links in this forum (I actually just posted there) so that would be something to look at too, since some of the hosting sites are just filled with junk you don't really want interacting with your device.

Then again, if an antivirus makes you feel safer, then go for it.
Apr 12th, 2017, 9:58 pm
Apr 28th, 2023, 12:38 pm
Hello,

Yes, there are several websites that offer malware scanning and analysis services for APK files. These services can help you identify any potential security risks or malware in the APK file before you install it on your device. Here are some popular options:

VirusTotal: VirusTotal is a free online service that allows you to scan APK files for viruses, malware, and other security threats. Simply upload the APK file to the website and it will be scanned by over 70 different antivirus engines.

APKMirror: APKMirror is a popular APK file hosting website that offers an optional "Verify Apps" feature. This feature allows you to scan the APK file for potential malware before downloading it.

Aptoide: Aptoide is an alternative app store that offers a built-in malware scanner. When you download an app from Aptoide, it will be scanned for malware before installation.

Jotti's Malware Scan: Jotti's Malware Scan is a free online service that allows you to scan APK files for malware. Simply upload the APK file to the website and it will be scanned by several different antivirus engines.

It's important to note that even with these services, it's still important to exercise caution when downloading and installing APK files from unknown sources. Only download APK files from reputable sources and be sure to read reviews and check the app's ratings before installing it on your device.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Apr 28th, 2023, 12:38 pm
May 2nd, 2023, 3:51 am
My man digging up a 5 year old post to drop some knowledge. Good stuff!
May 2nd, 2023, 3:51 am