Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Mar 27th, 2024, 12:42 pm
Could The Sun Be Conscious? Enter The Unorthodox World Of Panpsychism
This bizarre hypothesis even proposes an alternative to dark matter.

The nature of consciousness, how it emerges, and how it relates to the physical world has been a major philosophical and scientific topic of debate for as long as humanity has been thinking. Are mind and body separate? Some think yes, others think no, but a third camp expresses an in-between and yet more radical idea: everything in the universe has consciousness, and that includes the Sun.

This vision of the universe is known as panpsychism. The idea that consciousness arises from the physical world is known as physicalism, although we remain uncertain as to what makes animals conscious. Instead, the idea of mind and matter as two separate entities is covered by the dualist view of the world. Panpsychism sets out as a bridge between the two. Consciousness arises in us because consciousness is present in everything.

Concepts akin to this have been seen across the globe and over millennia in religions and philosophies. The concept has experienced a resurgence in analytical philosophy of late and there is a particularly unorthodox paper that discusses the potential consciousness of the Sun written by biologist Rupert Sheldrake, known for his work in morphic resonance – the belief that similar organisms somehow share telepathic interconnections and that species share collective memories.

In a paper published in the Journal of Consciousness Studies back in 2021, Sheldrake argues for the consciousness of the Sun and all the other stars. The biologist puts forth that “consciousness, awareness, or experience may be present in self-organizing systems at many levels of complexity.” Sheldrake states that this moves us from the physicalism concern of how consciousness emerged from a simple system and instead brings consciousness to stars, solar systems, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

“Consciousness does not need to be confined to brains,” Sheldrake told Popular Mechanics. “The link between minds and physical systems seems to be through rhythmic electromagnetic fields, which of course are present in our brains. They are also present in and around the sun, and these could be the interface between the solar mind and the body of the sun.”

Now, there are many philosophical and scientific arguments challenging panpsychism, but in the paper, we were particularly intrigued by what the consequences of a conscious Sun and the 100 billion other conscious stars making up the Milky Way would be. One proposed consequence, for example, is that the stars can move by releasing directional jets that place them where they want to.

According to Sheldrake's study, some suggest that stars do not move under the gravitational influence of dark matter, but instead steer themselves into their appropriate position. As always, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. While stellar jets are found in many objects, they are never a way for stars to propel themselves.

There's also an incredible map of the Milky Way thanks to the European Space Agency’s Gaia observatory. And it does not just detail the position of almost two billion stars, but also their motion. This data allows us to rewind the clock on the Milky Way and see how stars moved over billions of years.

If there were stellar motions that were not governed by the laws of gravity in a universe where dark matter is supposed to exist, well, scientists would certainly shout about them. The motion of stars as though there was a lot more matter than we could see is how dark matter came to be proposed in the first place.

In the paper, a lot of the argument is based on the Sun’s magnetic field and its complex nature. But if we want to consider something even more complex, we should look at the magnetic field of Uranus. Unlike the solar dynamo or Earth’s magnetosphere, the magnetic field of Uranus is off-center, and it might open and close daily, tumbling around. Significantly more complex than the Sun, but maybe “Is Uranus Conscious?” does not have quite the same ring to it.

https://www.iflscience.com/could-the-su ... hism-73553
Mar 27th, 2024, 12:42 pm
Mar 27th, 2024, 1:09 pm

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
WEDNESDAY MARCH 27

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to fine weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.

Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You can post as many stories as you like, but you will only get paid for One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can only earn WRZ$ once a day.
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -6)
3:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them short, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

Mar 27th, 2024, 1:09 pm

Mar 27th, 2024, 2:09 pm
Woman 'nurses stricken baby hedgehog' overnight only to 'discover' it was a fluffy hat bobble when she took it to an animal hospital

A woman claimed she carefully nursed a stricken 'baby hedgehog' overnight only to find out it was a fluffy hat bobble when she rushed it to an animal hospital.

The animal lover said she found what she thought was an injured creature on the pavement and 'spent a night looking after it' - despite it being somewhat lighter and fluffier than the spikey creature.

The next morning, she took the motionless mammal to Lower Moss Wood Nature Reserve & Wildlife Hospital, in Knutsford, Cheshire, in a box meticulously lined with newspaper and even placed a small dish of food next to it, as she remained by its bedside.

The woman carefully nursed a stricken 'baby hedgehog' overnight

But when hospital manager Janet Kotze opened the box, she realised the 'hedgehog' actually belonged on a woolly hat.

Ms Kotze said 'couldn't believe what she was seeing' when she made the discovery.

And when she revealed the news to the rescuer, the embarrassed woman said: 'You're joking.'

The animal lover then sheepishly walked out of the animal hospital, box in hand. An amused Ms Kotze said: 'It was the first admission of the day. The lady came in with a box, she said she had found this baby hedgehog on the pavement and it was cold and she picked it up.

'I was alarmed as it's very early for baby hedgehogs.

Hospital manager Janet Kotze said 'couldn't believe what she was seeing' when she made the discovery

'I opened the box and, well, I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. I thought "it's definitely not a hedgehog, perhaps it's some other kind of a fluffy creature".

'I realised it wasn't animated at all and I picked it up and obviously with the weight I could feel that it wasn't a hedgehog or any animal at all.

'She was very sweet, bless her, her heart was in the right place.

'She took the box from me and left quite quickly.

'I found it funny afterwards but I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing because to me a hedgehog is obviously a hedgehog.

Ms Kotze added that if people see a hedgehog out in the open during daytime they should be taken to a rescue

'I don't think she'll make the same mistake again, I think she'll check next time.'

Ms Kotze added that if people see a hedgehog out in the open during daytime they should be taken to a rescue as it is a sign they are distressed.

Janet said: 'It’s a golden rule that hedgehogs shouldn’t be out in daytime, especially little ones like that, but she did absolutely the right thing - aside from the fact that it wasn’t a hedgehog.

'Mostly if they’re found out in the daytime in the open, there’s definitely something wrong and they should be taken to rescue.'
Mar 27th, 2024, 2:09 pm

Mar 27th, 2024, 4:02 pm
Infamous door prop that kept Rose (but not Jack) afloat in Titanic sells at auction

Arguments over whether Jack could have fit on the plank instead of freezing to death so love interest Rose could remain above water have only grown louder since the film's release.

The piece of wood that has sparked consistent debates among film enthusiasts since the release of James Cameron's Titanic has sold at an auction for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The infamous door used to keep Kate Winslet's character Rose afloat once the ship went down in the blockbuster has sold for $718,750 (£567,561).

Arguments over whether Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) could have fit on the approximately eight-foot long, 41in-wide door instead of freezing to death so love interest Rose could remain above water have only grown louder since the film's release in 1997.

The auction notes allude to the controversy, saying: "The iconic prop has caused much debate from fans, many of whom have argued that the floating wood panel could have supported both Jack and Rose - making his fateful decision to stay in the frigid water an empty gesture."

It also points out the prop, while widely known to be a door, is in fact a copy of part of a door frame just above the first-class lounge entrance of the real Titanic.

Debate has been raging for so long that director Cameron revealed in 2022 he had done "a thorough forensic analysis" to prove Jack couldn't fit on it.

"We have done a scientific study to put this whole thing to rest and drive a stake through its heart once and for all," Cameron told Postmedia.

The study's outcome was shared in a National Geographic special the following year.

"We took two stunt people who were the same body mass of Kate and Leo and we put sensors all over them and inside them and we put them in ice water and we tested to see whether they could have survived through a variety of methods and the answer was, there was no way they both could have survived. Only one could survive," Cameron explained.

Asked if he regretted the finale's outcome, the filmmaker said: "No, he needed to die. It's like Romeo and Juliet. It's a movie about love and sacrifice and mortality. The love is measured by the sacrifice."

Heritage Auctions, which the worn-out wood panel sold through on Saturday, said it had a plaque on the back which includes the names of the lead actors, the film's title and the names of the production companies involved, along with a description of the scene it was used in.

It was the highest-selling prop in the three-day "Treasures From Planet Hollywood" auction, which made $15.6m (£12.4m) with 1,600 items on offer.

Sixteen items sold for six-digit figures, Heritage Auctions said, including Bill Murray's red-rose bowling ball from Kingpin for $350,000 (£276,454) and Tobey Maguire's black symbiote suit from 2007's Spider-Man 3 for $125,000 (£98,743).
Mar 27th, 2024, 4:02 pm

Mar 27th, 2024, 4:04 pm
Geomagnetic storm from a solar flare could disrupt radio communications and create a striking aurora

Excitement builds for April's total solar eclipse. Communities in the path of totality could see an economic boost.

Video: https://abc7.com/science/geomagnetic-st ... /14569621/

BOULDER, Colo. -- Space weather forecasters have issued a geomagnetic storm watch through Monday, saying an ouburst of plasma from a solar flare could interfere with radio transmissions on Earth. It could also make for great aurora viewing.

There's no reason for the public to be concerned, according to the alert issued Saturday by NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colorado.

The storm could interrupt high-frequency radio transmissions, such as by aircraft trying to communicate with distant traffic control towers. Most commercial aircraft can use satellite transmission as backup, said Jonathan Lash, a forecaster at the center.

This image provided by NASA shows the Sun seen from the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) satellite on Saturday, March 23, 2024.

Satellite operators might have trouble tracking their spacecraft, and power grids could also see some "induced current" in their lines, though nothing they can't handle, he said.

"For the general public, if you have clear skies at night and you are at higher latitudes, this would be a great opportunity to see the skies light up," Lash said.

Every 11 years, the sun's magnetic field flips, meaning its north and south poles switch positions. Solar activity changes during that cycle, and it's now near its most active, called the solar maximum.

Video: https://abc7.com/geomagnetic-storm-from ... /14569621/
Are you in the path of totality? See a map of April 8th's total solar eclipse.

During such times, geomagnetic storms of the type that arrived Sunday can hit Earth a few times a year, Lash said. During solar minimum, a few years may pass between storms.

In December, the biggest solar flare in years disrupted radio communications.
Mar 27th, 2024, 4:04 pm
Mar 27th, 2024, 4:22 pm
Auston Matthews on track for 67 goals, the NHL's most in a season in nearly 30 years

Max Domi lined up for a faceoff in Washington, looked over at Alex Ovechkin and thought, "Wow, that's going to be the greatest goal-scorer of all time."

Then he looked over at Auston Matthews and realized his Toronto teammate could be in that discussion too.

That came in the middle of another two-goal game by Matthews, who has scored an NHL-leading 58 this season. Scoring 70 would require a goal-a-game tear down the stretch, which isn't out of the realm of possibility by any means, but the U.S.-born centre is on pace for 67, which would be the most in the NHL in nearly 30 years.

Pittsburgh's Mario Lemieux, who was later part of the Penguins ownership group, had 69 in the 1995-96 campaign.

"We've got more stuff to worry about in our locker room as far as trying to build our game toward the end of the season and stuff," Matthews said. "The individual stuff, obviously you want to accomplish stuff. You want to push yourself to be as great as you can. That's what I try to do every night.

"I'm just going to continue to push and try to elevate my game towards the stretch and do what I can to help the team win."

Ovechkin owns the single-season record for goals in the salary cap era, which began in 2005, when he scored 65 in 2007-08. That was after rule changes opened the game, increased power plays and showcased a generation of talent led by the Capitals winger and Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby.

'He's a special player'
Matthews, Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Colorado's Nathan MacKinnon have succeeded Ovechkin and Crosby in those starring roles. Matthews (two seasons ago) and McDavid (three times) have already won the Hart Trophy as MVP, and MacKinnon is among the leading candidates for it this year.

Ovechkin, who at 848 goals is 47 away from breaking Wayne Gretzky's career record, is rooting for Matthews to surpass his single-season mark.

"I'm cheering for him," Ovechkin said last week. "Happy for him. I hope he gets it. Maybe 70, you never know. He's a special player. It's fun to watch."

Not so fun to defend. Washington coach Spencer Carbery said after his team's loss to Toronto, "We had zero answer for No. 34 tonight," referring to Matthews's jersey number that has become as associated with him as 8 for Ovechkin, 87 for Crosby, 97 for McDavid and 29 for MacKinnon.

Matthews has scored 60 in a season once and, given the Maple Leafs' propensity for offence, it would be foolish to rule out a run that gets him to 70 before the playoffs begin.

"Just the way that he plays off the puck, plays to get pucks back, he's always there in support," teammate Bobby McMann said. "It's easy to play with him, and there's a reason he's scoring so many."

PLAYER STATS: Auston Matthews

So many that there's already buzz about whether Ovechkin's time as hockey's all-time leading goal-scorer, if he gets there, could be short-lived. Matthews is outpacing him at this point in their careers, with 357 goals in his first 550 games compared to Ovechkin's 338.

"It's crazy to think that Alex can break Wayne's record, potentially, hopefully, and then Auston's going to be sniffing at that, too," Domi said. "It's really special for guys like us to be able to play on the same ice surface as those guys and have fun and enjoy the moment because those are two generational talents."

Son of Leafs exec Doan set for NHL debut
Josh Doan, the son of former Coyotes captain Shane Doan, will make his NHL debut with Arizona on Tuesday night against the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Coyotes recalled the 22-year-old forward from Tucson of the American Hockey League on Monday. He leads the Roadrunners with 46 points on 26 goals and 20 assists through 62 games this season. He leads all AHL rookies in goals.

PLAYER STATS: Josh Doan

Doan played collegiately at Arizona State and was drafted by the Coyotes in the second round (37th overall pick) in 2021.

Shane Doan, who was named special adviser to Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving last June, played for the Phoenix/Arizona franchise for 20 of his 21 NHL seasons (1996-2017).

He is the Coyotes' all-time leader in goals (402), assists (570), points (972) and games played (1,540).
Mar 27th, 2024, 4:22 pm

Mar 27th, 2024, 4:39 pm
Aussie Man Invents Weapon in War Against Invasive Asparagus Fern–The ‘Asparagus Assassin’

While most Americans will think of asparagus as a tasty compliment to a fish dinner, or alternatively as an inedibly, mushy, misery stick to be substituted for potatoes in every occasion, Down Under it is an entirely different situation.

The asparagus fern is one of the most serially invasive plants on the continent, and one Australian man has gone as far as to declare war on them, armed with a clever weapon of mass de-weeding he invented himself.

In the northern state of Queensland, Ron Gooch took his battery electric drill and modified the hole saw attachment with a section of sewer piping to create “The Asparagus Assassin” which he has used for years to clear the invasive basket asparagus fern.

“There’s a lot of bush between us and the beach and it was full of weeds,” Mr. Gooch, a resident of Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, told ABC News Australia. “It became a passion to get rid of the weeds and asparagus was one of the major ones.”

Australia has spent half a century trying to eliminate invasive species, as the isolated continent was overwhelmed by species that quickly filled unoccupied niches in the landscape. Some of the most famous culprits are foxes, feral cats, and cane toads, but prickly pear cactus had become the tyrant pest of the vegetable kingdom.

It was eventually eradicated from Australia with the help of a tiny insect, but the basket asparagus fern has only human enemies like Gooch at the moment. The plant was brought as an ornamental that eventually spread out of control.

But there are reasons to be sunny about the situation on the Sunshine Coast, as a local group of “bushcare” volunteers found that Gooch’s Asparagus Assassin was so effective that they needed more, and secured a grant for five more.

With extensive underground root systems, pulling the basket asparagus fern out of the ground isn’t enough. The assassin is used to tunnel down to the crown of the roots, encircle it, and then saw away all the connecting roots, ensuring it can’t grow back.

Gooch isn’t planning on monetizing the tool because he doesn’t want to manage the production, but hopes others will use his design to combat weeds in their environs.

In a video on ABC, Gooch demonstrates the difference between using a folding hand saw to remove the crown and using his assassin, and the job is done in about a quarter of the time.
Mar 27th, 2024, 4:39 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Mar 27th, 2024, 5:46 pm
92-Year-Old Woman Is the World’s Oldest Working Model
010924*

Carmen Dell’Orefice is known as the oldest working model in the fashion industry. She was discovered on a bus when she was only 13 years old, and she is still working today, at age 92.

Carmen Dell’Orefice’s first contact with the fashion world was a flop. After being approached by the wife of photographer Herman Landschoff while riding a bus to ballet class when she was only 13 years old, Dell’Orefice saw her test photos go nowhere fast. But she was destined for greatness, and just two years later, at age 15, she graced the cover of Vogue Magazine for the very first time, after becoming a favorite model of photographer Erwin Blumenfeld. Last year, at age 92, Carmen Dell’Orefice was featured on the cover of Vogue Czechoslovakia, this time as the oldest working model in the world.

Photo: Carmen Dell’Orefice/Facebook

Growing up in New York with her mother, Dell’Orefice didn’t have an easy chldhood. She had her amily struggled financially, and she recalls being so malnourished that photographers had to pin back dresses and stuff the curves with tissue. They didn’t even have a telephone in the house, so Vogue had to sen runners to summon her for shoots. Her modeling work was hardly enough to support the family so she and her mother also worked as seamstresses to make ends meet.

Her personal life wasn’t aa fairytale either. She married Bill Miles in the early 1950s, a man who exploited her career by picking up his wife’s modeling agency checks, allowing her only $50 allowance from her earnings. They divorced and Carmen married photographer Richard Heimann, who left her after she decided to retire from modeling in 1958.

A precarious financial situation convinced Carmen Dell’Orefice to return to modeling in 1978, and in just a few years’ time, she was already gracing the covers of fashion magazines again. She has been working hard ever since, appearing in magazines, advertising campaigns and even climbing the catwalk for various fashion brands. She has been doing it all, and despite being well into her pension years, she shows no sign of sstopping.

“Men and women should care for themselves and love themselves. One of the secrets to maintaining beauty is doing what you do for a baby, nurturing and feeding the baby with love,” the 92-year-old said in a recent interview. “That’s what we should do with ourselves: nurture ourselves, love ourselves, and give that kind of energy to ourselves.”

In 2022, at the age of 91, Carmen Dell’Orefice stripped naked for a risqué photoshoot, and last year she graced the cover of several fashion magazines, including Vogue Czechoslovakia, L’Officiel India, and Schön China. She continues to prove that age is just a number and that some people really do age like wine.

Back in 2019, we featured 96-year-old Alice Pang, Asia’s oldest fashion model, but considering she had only started modeling at 93, she was technically a beginner. Carmen, on the other hand, has decades of experience under her belt, so she deserves the title of oldest working fashion model

Mar 27th, 2024, 5:46 pm
Mar 27th, 2024, 11:02 pm
Firefighter Adopts Puppy Saved from Burning Home and Plans to Teach Kids Fire Safety with the Dog

The Oregon pup, named Smoky, suffered burns on his back, feet, face and more

After a puppy in Oregon survived a house fire, he found a forever home with a firefighter and his family.

The puppy, now named Smoky, was caught in a house fire about three weeks ago, according to a Facebook post from the South Coast Humane Society, which took him in after his rescue. The home burned to the ground after rescuers removed the canine from the premises.

After the 16-lb. pup arrived at the shelter, staff discovered that he had sustained burns to his back, feet, face, and other parts of his body during the fire.

But after veterinary care and TLC, the puppy healed enough to be adopted.

According to the post, his recovery involved “lots of intensive care, multiple cold baths, applying medicated salve, wound management and skin removal, and lots of love!”

While the puppy healed, the fire marshal who initially contacted the humane society about the injured pup, searched for potential adopters.

"The fire marshal knew that there was someone out there that would love this puppy and that he would bring true meaning to what happened to him," the post read.

Eventually, the marshal's search led her to Coos Bay, home to a firefighter friend who "fell in love" with little Smoky.

The firefighter and his wife visited Smoky "multiple times" while his skin healed to form a bond with the pup. So Smoky was ready to go home with the couple once the shelter felt "confident that his skin was on the mend and he could go home without the threat of infection," per South Coast Humane Society's post.

Now crate-trained, house-trained, and healed, the resilient pup went home with his new owner this weekend. Photos shared by the humane society show him settling in and cuddling with his new family.

According to the post, Smoky has already found a way to make the adversity he has faced these past few weeks meaningful — he will help his new owner teach children about fire safety.

After more healing and training, he will become "an advocate for the 'stop, drop, and roll' presentations in the school districts."

Mar 27th, 2024, 11:02 pm

Mar 27th, 2024, 11:31 pm
Dog digging in Florida yard unearths decades-old military bomb

Story by Prisha

A dog, while digging in the backyard of her owner to find a bone, ended up discovering something rather unexpected.

Homeowner Mathew Sims said that his pup, named Baby, was playing in the backyard of the house in Jacksonville, Florida when the rusted object was dug up by her near the fence line, said the police.

Speaking to FOX 30, Sims said, "You couldn’t tell what it was until you started pulling it up. Once I got it halfway out, I was like oh, I know what this is, let me gently put this back down."

The metallic item discovered was actually an unexploded military bomb, which was decades old.

"OK is this live?" Sims remembered the first thoughts when he picked up the bomb with his bare hands last Wednesday (Mar 20). "You panic, then you drop," he said.

The weapon was carefully laid back by Sims at the place where his dog discovered it and he then called the authorities. He added that the bomb weighed nearly 10 pounds and was around a foot long.

As per a police report, the amount of decay present on the weapon hinted that the bomb had been underground for years.

Bomb squad confiscates the bomb

A bomb squad reached his home, which was located on 15th Street E, and the neighbourhood was evacuated.

Sims said that it was a matter of relief that the bomb was discovered by the dog and was removed from his house.

Meanwhile, his neighbour Carla Smith said that she was not worried about the strange discovery.

"We just watched. I wasn’t scared because I’ve been around people who have found artefacts in the land," she said while speaking to the news outlet.

"To me, it was interesting to watch. They did their thing and they were out of here in minutes," she added.

The antique bomb was found by the dog two months after a man found a rusty rocket in Bellevue, Washington state. It was said to have been an old Cold War nuclear missile.

Meanwhile, an unexploded hand grenade was discovered by a nine-year-old boy in his garden in Yarcombe, East Devon, England. The grenade was removed by the police and detonated in a close field.
Mar 27th, 2024, 11:31 pm
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:13 am
MacKenzie Scott Has Now Given Away $16.5 Billion with New Grants Announced, Since Divorcing Amazon’s Jeff Bezos

Amazon Smile (released)

Here’s a hypothetical: You want to give away $640 million, but you want to give it away to many different groups. How do you find the groups? How do you process value judgments between charities and non-profit organizations and decide who to uplift and who to ignore?

Billionaire philanthropist MacKenzie Scott has figured it out, as part of her commitment to relinquish all the money she received in her divorce settlement with Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.

She had already given away billions, but wanted to hone the process in time for her next distribution.

An organization set up to help her navigate this problem, Yield Giving, recently completed an open call process for a grant money giveaway wherein Scott donated double the millions she originally earmarked—in the end, helping 361 charities and nonprofits with grants of one to two million dollars each.

Yield Giving conducted investigations into the processes, transparency, and effectiveness of all the orgs that applied for a grant through the open call process alongside an organizer called Levers for Change.

The evaluation was done through “careful analysis of criteria specific to their size, geography, and mission for indicators of high potential for sustained positive impact, including stable finances, multi-year track records, measurement and evidence of outcomes, and experienced leadership representative of the community served,” Yield wrote on their website.

“The 279 nonprofits that received top scores from an external review panel were awarded $2 million, while 82 organizations in a second tier received $1 million each,” AP News reported.

In a blog post on Yield Giving, Ms. Scott explained the process that saw Levers for Change whittle through a pool of over 6,000 applicants.

“Each of these 361 community-led non-profits was elevated… for their outstanding work advancing the voices and opportunities of individuals and families of meager or modest means, and groups who have met with discrimination and other systemic obstacles,” she wrote.

A scroll through the total list of recipients shows that many of the donations went to human-centered work: improving opportunities for disadvantaged youth, aiding those unfairly battered by the criminal justice system, connecting victims of trauma and violence with people and groups who can help them, or securing stability for the homeless or immigrants, just to name a few.

Many of the organizations released statements upon receiving the gift, which came along with a letter from Scott explaining her appreciation for their work.

Able SC is a disability-led organization seeking transformational changes in systems and communities to better support disabled people.

“Able South Carolina is thrilled and overjoyed to be selected not only to receive this gift from Yield Giving but also as one of the top-rated organizations in the nation,” said Able SC President and CEO Kimberly Tissot.

“This gift brings our vision closer to reality. With $2 million, we will invest this towards our big goals of developing a nationally recognized disability-led initiative.”

“By providing the youth of New York City a second chance to fulfill their potential and reach for their dreams, Avenues for Justice attempts to meet those goals every day,” said AFJ Board Chair, Alanna Rutherford. “We thank Yield Giving Open Call for the opportunity to expand our education, mentorship, job training, and other services that we provide our clients.”

The Colorado Fiscal Institute uses research, advocacy, strategic communications, and statewide education to promote responsible, people-centered, fiscal, and economic policies that advance equity and widespread prosperity in Colorado.

“We’re deeply grateful to receive this generous gift from MacKenzie Scott. It’s a testament to the efforts of our incredible staff, current and former board of directors, amazing local funders and supporters who’ve been with us all this time… with whom we’ve been working toward our shared vision of a state where our fiscal and economic policies support equity and widespread prosperity,” said CFI Executive Director Kathy White.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:13 am
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:35 am
Harry Potter's Jessie Cave Reacts to Miriam Margolyes' Comment on Adult Fans: 'Don't Like That She Said That'

"I think she didn't mean for it to be taken like that, I hope," Cave said of Margolyes during a Dream It Con panel with fellow 'Potter' alum Devon Murray

During a Dream It Con panel with fellow Potter alum Devon Murray over the weekend, the 36-year-old actress — who played Lavender Brown in the films — expressed her disagreement with their former costar Miriam Margolyes' comments concerning adult fans of the franchise.

Margolyes, 82, said in a recent interview with New Zealand’s 1News, "I worry about Harry Potter fans because they should be over that by now."

Answering a fan in the audience, Cave said of Margolyes' comments, "It's such a shame that that happened," before going on to give her the benefit of the doubt.

"You know how she is — she's just a bit funny. And I think she didn't mean for it to be taken like that, I hope. ... I really don’t like that she said that," Cave continued of Margolyes, who played Herbology professor and head of Hogwarts' Hufflepuff house, Professor Pomona Sprout, in the movies.

Cave went on to say, "It's just such an amazing thing that Harry Potter has done," adding that the blockbuster fantasy series has "created a community" and "fan base that has aged and is still bonded through [it], and it’s passed on to younger people and younger generations, and that’s what's so amazing."

"She probably just doesn’t understand that [or] get that. So that's okay, and just let her be," Cave continued of Margolyes. "But I think it's just very unusual, this situation."
Seeming genuinely perplexed that those who loved the Harry Potter films in their younger years would still be fans as adults, Margolyes also said in her comments, “It was 25 years ago, and it’s for children.”

“They get stuck in it,” she explained. “I do Cameos, and people say, ‘We’re having a Harry Potter-themed wedding,' and I think, ‘Gosh, what’s their first night of fun going to be?’ I can’t even think about it. No.”

And although the Age of Innocence actress called Harry Potter “wonderful” and shared that she was “grateful” for the opportunity for the role, she reiterated that “it’s over."

Harry Potter is clearly still near and dear not only to many fans' hearts but that of several of its stars, who regularly make convention appearances, including at the recent Dream It Con.

Cave even joined forces with Rupert Grint to recreate one of their most famous scenes together: when Lavender gives boyfriend Ron Weasley (Grint, 35), a.k.a. her "Won-Won," a necklace reading "My Sweetheart" for Christmas.

Grint and Cave leveraged the TikTok trend that uses Simple Plan's song "I'm Just a Kid" to recreate past moments — in this case, the scene where Lavender puts the necklace on a mortified Ron.

src: https://people.com/harry-potter-star-je ... nt-8620934
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:35 am

Twitter @HgwrtzExprss
Join Mobilism Discord server to get instant updates on contests: https://discord.gg/JqD2wAWSGw

Mar 28th, 2024, 6:46 am
How wild is the Bengal cat genome?

A Bengal cat with glitter fur trait. Credit: Anthony Hutcherson

If you're wondering who holds the title of domestic cat royalty, look no further than the stunning Bengal breed. They take the prize for the most popular breed in The International Cat Association (TICA) registry due to their unique, exotic appearance and affectionate charm of a beloved house companion.

Despite their top marks among cat lovers, the Bengal breed has been around for less than a century, which is the blink of an eye compared to most domestic cats that have been around for thousands of years.

Bengal cats are a hybrid breed created in the 1960s by crossing domestic cats (Felis catus) with Asian leopard cats (Prionailurus bengalensis), a small spotted wild cat species from Asia. These two species had a last common ancestor about 6 million years ago; genetic differences between the two species are greater than between humans and chimpanzees.

Bengals were officially recognized as a new breed by TICA in 1986 and are the only domestic cats that can have rosettes like the markings on leopards, jaguars, and ocelots. But all Bengal coats are not created equal; the initial hybridization of domestic and wild cats followed by the selective breeding of Bengals with one another for desired traits introduced an array of new coat colors and patterns.

Most people attribute the unique color and coat traits of Bengals to specific DNA from its wild and distantly related felid ancestor. A new study published in Current Biology delves into the fascinating genetics behind these captivating creatures, provides some genetic surprises and reveals some genetic secrets that underlie their unique appearance.

A community effort to demystify Bengal ancestry

Greg Barsh, MD, Ph.D., Faculty Investigator at HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology and Professor of Genetics at Stanford University, is an expert in the genetics of feline coat coloration and patterning. He and his team, led by Chris Kaelin, Ph.D., and Kelly McGowan, MD, Ph.D., sought to dive into Bengal cat ancestry and pinpoint the genetics of popular color traits.

"Cats are wonderful companions," Barsh explained, "but our interests go beyond their beautiful and exotic appearance. Like the amazing variation among different dog breeds, artificial selection can be a very powerful engine to create morphologic diversity. What's different about Bengal cats from dogs is the raw genetic material–dogs trace their heritage to wolves from tens of thousands of years ago."

"In contrast, Bengal cats trace their heritage to completely different species from millions of years ago. Understanding how these distantly related genomes interact is a general question that applies to any situation when different species exchange genes, from crops to aquaculture to humans and Neandertals."

The Bengal breed was started about 60 years ago by a small number of cat enthusiasts and has grown tremendously. Today, there are hundreds of thousands of registered cats produced by more than 2,000 breeders. Over the last 60 years, many breeders have worked to develop traits that are similar to wild cats, like ocelots, tigers, or leopards.

To dive into the genetics of Bengal cats, the team needed access to DNA from a lot of Bengal cats. They turned to the breeding community, visiting cat shows and breed club meetings, talking about genetics and evolution, and asking breeders to participate in the research.

Chris Kaelin, the lead author of the study, said, "Cat fanciers and breeders are very interested in the research, in part because they want to know more about the science behind artificial selection, and in part, because they want to know if our results can help them produce cats with rosettes, stripes, or other exotic markings."

Kaelin also commented, "This is a great example of citizen science–our work has been enabled by the willingness of breeders to participate, and we share our results with the community."

Enrolling a cat in the Bengal research study requires nothing more than a cheek swab for a DNA sample, photographs of both sides of the cat, and any records about pedigree or registration. The team has been working on the project for several years and has collected nearly 3,000 DNA samples.

One of the findings to emerge from the work is that Asian leopard DNA contributes, on average, only a few percent to Bengal breed DNA and, surprisingly, there isn't one or even a few Asian leopard genes that cause the unique Bengal appearance.

"One of the original motivations for bringing together DNA from the two species was to select for Asian leopard DNA that would recapitulate the appearance of an exotic wild cat in a companion animal," said Kaelin. "It turns out that some of the most striking examples of selection in the breed are for traits that were already present, but very rare, in domestic cats."

Domestic cat DNA is responsible for 'glittery' Bengal coats

As the team describes in their paper, the "glitter" coat in Bengal cats exemplifies that phenomenon. Glitter doesn't involve any actual glitter particles but rather a unique structure of individual hairs that makes the fur shiny and soft. It is a very popular trait in the Bengal breed that the team discovered was caused by a mutation in a gene called Fgfr2. "Fgfr2 is a gene found in all mammals that is important for embryonic development and organogenesis," said McGowan.

"Our results show that while a complete loss of Fgfr2 is lethal, a moderate reduction causes a desirable trait to manifest mainly in the hair."

The results from this study offer valuable information for cat lovers as well as scientists interested more generally in hybridization and selection. "Human DNA of European or Asian ancestry contains a small fraction of Neandertal DNA that was caused by hybridization between the two species after humans migrated out of Africa," said Barsh.

"In some ways, Bengal cats are similar, except the distance between the two hybridizing species is much greater and the time since hybridization is much less." From that perspective, learning more about Bengal cats could tell us more about ourselves.

More information: Christopher B. Kaelin et al, Ancestry dynamics and trait selection in a designer cat breed, Current Biology (2024). DOI: 10.1016/j.cub.2024.02.075 (paywalled :( )
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:46 am
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:33 am
I am allergic to everything — eating rice, bread or mustard could kill me

“I am at the point where my diet is only EleCare (a brand of baby formula) and oatmeal,” Caroline Cray, 24, told South West News Service of her debilitating affliction and highly limited meal plan.

Any meal could be her last supper if she isn’t careful.

A Massachusetts woman suffers from a rare chronic illness that makes her allergic to nearly everything — even eating everyday food like rice, bread or mustard could kill her.

The Boston resident specifically suffers from mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), a rare immunological disorder in which a person experiences “repeated severe allergy symptoms affecting several body systems,” according to the American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology.

“I don’t rule myself out of things’ though; I sit down and eat with my family every night,” said Cray. “I will go out for meals but I bring my own food, and I will go for nights out and take a water bottle.” Caroline Cray / SWNS

The healthcare recruiter’s list of potential allergy triggers is a mile-long and includes fish, peanuts, sesame, kiwis and mustard — as well as black mold and cat or dog fur.

Eating the wrong thing could induce anaphylactic shock — a potentially deadly allergic reaction.

“It is really tough — you don’t think about food at all when you can eat normally,” lamented Cray, who has to bring her own meals and drinks whenever she dines out.

The New Englander first realized something was awry in September 2017 when she went into anaphylactic shock after eating ice cream and was hospitalized for 12 hours.

That same month, she suffered a string of attacks that were triggered by consuming pizza, bread, and rice and beans — with the latter combination landing her in intensive care for a shocking 12 days.

Despite her severe symptoms, doctors assumed that the reactions would only last a few months. They then put Cray on antihistamines and referred her to a specialist.

However, her affliction reared its ugly head yet again.

“It was really discouraging that a few months later I was really sick,” said Cray, whose life became like a game of allergen Russian roulette as she awaited the specialist’s verdict.

After 10 agonizing months, Cray was diagnosed with MCAS, which turned her life upside down.

“I was emotional, which was very surprising for me,” the distraught gal revealed, adding that her mother, Julia, 59, also was affected.. “I am a very cut and dry person, but me and my mum were both crying.”

Interestingly, Cray initially found it somewhat “validating” that she had a chronic illness — and therefore needed to be treated as such.

“It is really tough – you don’t think about food at all when you can eat normally,” said Cray.

However, she was also distraught by the idea of having to “live with this the rest of my life,” she said.

“My biggest trigger is the process of eating and digesting food,” she said. “I am currently meeting with my MCAS therapist to try trialing different foods.

“I will try single foods one by one, so if I have a reaction we know exactly what it is to,” she said.

Along with navigating the dietary minefield, Cray also adheres to a strict medication regimen, including Xolair allergy shots every 14 days, daily antihistamines and immune deficiency treatment Hizentra every seven days.

Despite those restrictions, Cray makes it a point to eat with her family every night and also regularly goes out with friends — as agonizing as that can be at times.

“The fact you’re not eating the same food in the restaurant is more noticeable, especially when I open my Tupperware,” she said.

However, Cray says she “doesn’t mind” abstaining from boozing as “not everyone drinks or cares that you’re not drinking.”

“When I go on nights out, I am always the designated driver,” she joked. “I can fill people in on what has happened the night before.”

https://nypost.com/2024/03/27/lifestyle ... d-kill-me/
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:33 am